Old 28-09-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

On 28/9/07 13:16, in article , "CWatters"
wrote:

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many pests, such

as
slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but the worst by far are the
moles that topple plants, disturb carefully laid small cobble patios, kill
perennials and shrubs. I can forgive the piles of dirt on the lawn

because
grass soon fills in but killing much- loved plants is very discouraging.

Are you sure it's the moles doing the damage? They don't eat plants just
insects and worms. I guess the tunnel might cause problems. They won't
effect a well laid patio. If they do it wasn't laid properly in my opinion.
As for the lawn. Thats the main problem area grrrr.

They affect plants by tunnelling under them and leaving the roots dangling
in nothingness. I used to put a lot of spent mushroom compost on the beds
in a previous garden and it worked wonderfully as a good mulch. But unknown
to us and disguised by the mulch, moles were at work and a couple of shrubs
keeled over before we realised what was going on!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk