Old 28-09-2007, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

, I, Marvo, say :

On 28/9/07 13:16, in article ,
"CWatters" wrote:

"clarissa" wrote in message
Hi everyone I live on the edge of woodland and so have many
pests, such as slugs and snails, crawling up from the bush - but
the worst by far are the moles that topple plants, disturb
carefully laid small cobble patios, kill perennials and shrubs. I
can forgive the piles of dirt on the lawn because grass soon fills
in but killing much- loved plants is very discouraging.

Are you sure it's the moles doing the damage? They don't eat plants
just insects and worms. I guess the tunnel might cause problems.
They won't effect a well laid patio. If they do it wasn't laid
properly in my opinion. As for the lawn. Thats the main problem area
grrrr.

They affect plants by tunnelling under them and leaving the roots
dangling in nothingness. I used to put a lot of spent mushroom
compost on the beds in a previous garden and it worked wonderfully as
a good mulch. But unknown to us and disguised by the mulch, moles
were at work and a couple of shrubs keeled over before we realised
what was going on!

I don't approve of killing anything apart from mosquitos and bluebottles (so
I'm not a Buddhist) but moles are blind and have an acute sense of hearing,
it seems, so one of those mole-deterrent ultrasonic things might be the
ticket.

The downside is that you end up with a plague of bats colliding with your
windows all night.