Old 28-09-2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Kingdon Jim Kingdon is offline

Default Shady veggies wanted

i wonder if ground cover spinach would work there or how about what here in
New Zealand is called silverbeet [also known as Swiss Chard].

Both worth a try.

Rhubarb also, at least in zone 7 or cooler (roughly) (I don't think
the original poster gave a location).

There are bean varities which are specifically bred for partial shade
(the traditional example is growing up maize stalks in a maize field).
I know I've seen them at http://www.southernexposure.com/ ; don't know
about other seed catalogs.

But the person who said "forget about veggies in the shade" is partly
right. There aren't a lot of vegetables that can take shade. You
might consider looking for a shade-tolerant rose instead (Rosa rugosa
is the best known, although it is considered invasive some places.
Here in the Washington, DC area we have a native rose called Rosa
palustris). Depends on what you are looking for in a rose, though -
you can get rosehips and fragrance out of many of these roses but most
of them don't have the large flowers with many petals we've come to
expect from hybrid teas and other cultivated roses.