Old 03-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Electric or pertrol cylinder mower?

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:15:28 +0000, MOGMAN wrote:

Can anyone please advise whether a petrol cylinder mower is better than an
electric cylinder mower in terms of cut quality. The electric mower that I

Hi Steve,

I can only comment that there is little or no difference in quality of cut
between petrol and electric rotary mowers. I presently have a 18" petrol
rotary mower - because I was taking 1hr to mow the lawn with a 15" blade
electric rotary on a 60ft cable!!! I now mow the lawn in 20min flat!

Whilst investigating which new mower to purchase (with URG's help - much
appreciated guys & girls ), most places offered to let me test push
their mowers - these were either specilist suppliers of mowers only, or
suppliers of mixed light plant - not the DIY superstores.

I only did one test mow in the end - of my chosen mower to check (a) I
could lift it and (b) it would cope with the slope/hill in my back garden.

Electrics are lighter than petrol, OTOH, a good cylinder mower might be
quite heavy if it incorporates a roller for that really stripey look.

I suggest research with test drives.

Sarah