Old 28-09-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters[_2_] CWatters[_2_] is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/9/07 14:41, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:
snip

I don't approve of killing anything apart from mosquitos and bluebottles

(so
I'm not a Buddhist) but moles are blind and have an acute sense of

hearing,
it seems, so one of those mole-deterrent ultrasonic things might be the
ticket.

The downside is that you end up with a plague of bats colliding with

your
windows all night.

That couldn't possibly be a downside here. ;-) We get plagues of moles
from time to time because we're surrounded by farm land. The adjoining
church yard gets masses, too. From time to time, we have to trap them
because as someone has said, it makes our lawn very dangerous.

The ultrasonic devices do NOT work. DEFRA appear to agree... .

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

It says....

"The available information suggests that these devices are not effective.."

"There was no shift in the range used by the animals"

"The authors proposed that moles were not deterred because the vibrations
produced by the devices were rapidly attenuated when passing through soil
and could not therefore be detected beyond a few centimeters away"

Don't buy anything until you have read this report.