Old 28-09-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

Default Fall Food Change

"Reel McKoi" wrote
"Phyllis and Jim" wrote
Does anyone know what the wild carp eat in the winter?

==============================
Beyond a certain temperature I don't believe wild carp eat. They're
metabolism is so slow they lose interest in food. But feeding them in
winter if they're hungry doesn't kill them I found. Not one died from
rotten food in their gut. I believe that's an old wives tale. Mine will
be fed as long as they show interest in food.

You are correct. Mine eat little or nothing in the colder periods. But
continuing to put the same amount of food in the pond can cause all kinds of
water quality problems, so it's better to just stop feeding them if they
aren't eating it.

For more information than you ever wanted to know about what carp/koi
actually eat, see:

http://www.pond-doctor.co.uk/longcarpdiet.htm

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA