Old 28-09-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Cauliflower

"Wally" wrote...
My first time trying to grow cauliflower this year.
I seem to have failed miserably.
The head of the plants are very small and the
white heads go a nasty brown colour.
I am obviously doing something wrong but can't
think what.
Any help or suggestions please ??

They do not like any check on growth. So they need water if it's dry etc
although I haven't found that a problem this year. To keep the curds white
you need to bend/snap a few of the leaves over the curd so they stay in the
dark. The variety does matter too, we prefer the spring ones as these grow
with no insect damage and no possibility of any meat amongst the curd.
(Winter Walcheren Amardo April is one such)

Did you use any fertilizer and what is the pH of the soil?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden