Old 29-09-2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dave Dave is offline

Default Well pressure tank Q

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
I'm getting the well system in my home back in working order and breaking
it off the household feed for use as outside water sources and irrigation.

I have an existing pressure tank that I can use, 36 gallon Sears
390.29161 - I need to test the air bladder which I'm in the process of
tonight.

In the event that I've got the same air pressure in the morning that I had
when I refilled the air I'll need to know the PSI that the bladder should
be filled to while OFF SYSTEM and no water in the tank.

Anyone have any ideas how much pressure should be in them?

I'm hoping to not have to replace the tank and to avoid that expense and
to only have to work on a new jet pump. Replacing both would double the
costs.

As for the pump, I'll be using a 1/2HP convertible jet pump. Pretty
standard stuff and the lowest HP I seem to be able to get. I really
shouldn't need more than 10GPM at any given time.

BTW, irrigation would be a drip system covering the flower beds and
possibly a small veg garden, just in case you're wondering.

Alot of rambling for a little question (how much pressure in the air
bladder, that is) but I figured I'd explain what my needs are and what I'm
doing just in case anyone wanted to kick further input.

Sometimes when I hear out a question and its end purpose, I like to start
from the purpose.

I can't see all you're doing for doing drip irrigation on a flower bed and a
small garden. Won't be anywhere near 10 GPM. The current pump and
reservoir tank should easily handle that and the house needs. Seems to do
fine here without all the aids you seem to need. No drip, manual surface
irrigation here.

Find interesting the air pressure thing. My reservoir tank relies on the
elasticity of the bladder for pressure when the pump is not running. Also
aiding is the pumphouse is uphill from the house and rest of my irrigated
area. Maybe you're pumping uphill to the flower bed etc. But, should be of
little consequence since the flow rate is so small.
Dave