Old 03-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Cate

Default newbie azalea question

"JNJ" wrote in message

Where in Zone 5b are you located?

I'm in Ithaca, NY. We've had quite a lot of snow this year (several storms
with 12"+), and it was bitterly cold for a while (single digits before wind
chill).

Something else to consider -- most
azaleas prefer it a bit shady; mine are under trees and get dappled light

at
best for much of the season.

Yeah, I found that out after I planted them, which is why I watered them a
lot last year. They didn't burn or wilt at all, so I figured they were fine
where they were.

Have you noticed if the branches are brittle?

I think they are; I'll look closer again later today.

Do you have any other plants
that are still dormant?

Yes, almost all of them. I have euonymous bushes and a viburnum that are
still dormant. No other shrubs, but my ornamental fruit trees and all the
other flowers have yet to do anything at all. Except the bulbs, which are
about 1/3 of the way out.

If they're not in the ground (i.e., if they're
potted),

They're in the ground.

you may want to move them somewhere that gets a bit more shade (if
they did well last year I wouldn't do this though). Do you know which
variety of azalea you purchased? Unfortunately, without living leaves
and/or flowers it may be a bit difficult to distinguish the variety.

Unfortunately, no, I didn't bother to check which variety I have. I picked
them based on the look I remembered from my childhood.

All in all, I'd suggest simply waiting and giving them a bit more time.
Plenty of things are still waking up.

Thanks. I think I'll take a branch to Agway and see if they can tell me it's
hopeless. If not, I guess I'll have to patient.

Cate