Old 30-09-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default rockery

solaara writes

The builder actually built the shed so that the rockery would form the
fourth wall..bit of a daft idea..so there is no chance of making a
retaining wall...

I used to live in a house built into a hill, so that on the lowest floor
the chalk rock of the hillside formed the back wall. That had simply
been plastered over.

The floor was bricks standing straight on the earth. We had a plastic
sheet over the floor, and the mat and all the furniture stood on that. I
presume the place was still damp, but as long as nothing was in direct
contact with either the floor or the back wall, nothing rotted. The
floor in question was our kitchen and main living room.

I think the difference between us and your shed was that the basic rock
was porous, so no matter how heavy the rain, we never had running water
- it all soaked into the chalk.

--
Kay