Old 30-09-2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] dneudorf@gmail.com is offline

Default Avoiding the dangers of Roundup

On Sep 30, 7:16 am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am hoping someone can give me some valuable info here. We are about
to move to a farmhouse that has a canola farm which surrounds us
almost entirely. The farmer uses Roundup. I have heard about the
dangers of Roundup - particularly to pregnant women. I am wondering
what we can do to prevent ourselves from exposure.

If your new place's adjoining garden has healthy plants growing in
it, that suggests it's not being hit by Roundup weedkiller spray drift
fall-out. Grass in particular is very sensitive to Roundup drift.
However, the farmer may also be applying insecticide spray, whose
effects don't show up so obviously but could be far more worrying. So
on spray days I'd certainly stay indoors with the windows shut, and not
hang out the washing to dry.

We would get water

via a well. Should we avoid it?

not sure myself whether you should avoid it however if you are worried about
drinking water you can set up a drinking water system using run off from
your roof.

But the roof is equally a collection system for spray particles,
which would wash down into the watersystem.

Janet.

Thanks Janet. Yes, there is lots of vegetation in the yard and a
massive lawn, so that's a good sign.

On spray days - how long would we need to stay away? Could the wind
blow it around for days afterwards, or does it soak in immediately?
It's a 150 acre farm, almost entirely surrounding us. (We're in
Ontario, BTW).

I think we'll get the water tested before we use it.

Thanks alot for your help,

Darryl