Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,misc.rural
enigma enigma is offline

Default Avoiding the dangers of Roundup

Jim wrote in
:

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message from contains these words:

I would be more interested in discussing with them the
ultimate unsustainability of the pesticides they are
using. There are plenty of farmers nowadays,
especially in the Northeast, that are successfully
pulling in crops without using Roundup at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a

That's a good thought. Maybe he'd be interested in
changing his methods.

It would be good if he did, but the last thing a new
arrival to any
rural area should do, is start trying to suggest to the
resident farmers that you know how they should run their
business. Nothing could be more calculated to put his back
up, just when you want him to be your friend, and let you
know (minimum) what times of year he sprays and (best for
you) get to the point where he calls on the phone to say
"I'll be spraying tomorrow if it's not too windy".

Janet, well written, well stated and a good piece of
advice.

especially if he's going to be telling the farmer that RoundUp
is a pesticide... nothing like making yourself look *really*
ignorant when confronting a farmer about his spraying
schedules.
for the most part no one is going to be spraying if it's
likely to wind drift (too expensive/wasteful) anyway, but i
can't say i know much about canola...
lee