Old 01-10-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
doofy doofy is offline

Default Cantaloupes and fence

Dave wrote:
"Lar" wrote in message

Dave wrote:

My garden is surrounded by a fence. The fencing is about 2"X3" squares.
I've been waiting for a couple of months for the cantalouple to flower
and fruit. The flowering has been great and continues. Cantaloupe is
planted on 2 mounds, about 2 feet from the fence. It has grown parallel
to the fence, and later towards the fence. All flowering has resulted in
no fruit. I left it alone. Now, the cantaloupe is all over the fence.
Found many fruit growing now. All hanging from the fence. I've never
attempted cantaloupe before. Is it supposed to be supported in the air
like on a fence?
Dave

If you mean does it have be grown on a fence before it produces fruit, no.

Lar

That's what I meant, and that's the only place its making fruit. Maybe it
thinks its a grape?
Dave

Maybe it's trying to elope, but can't.