Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters[_2_] CWatters[_2_] is offline

Default Moles - to trap or not to trap

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

The ultrasonic devices do NOT work. DEFRA appear to agree... .

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

It says....

"The available information suggests that these devices are not
effective.."

"There was no shift in the range used by the animals"

"The authors proposed that moles were not deterred because the
vibrations produced by the devices were rapidly attenuated when
passing through soil and could not therefore be detected beyond a few
centimeters away"

Don't buy anything until you have read this report.

Oh, that's all right then.

I believe every single thing that DEFRA ever says :-)

If you look at the report you will see it mostly quotes third party studies
from all over Europe and Russia. Personally I wish I'd seen the DEFRA report
earlier. I wasted £60 on three different ultrasonic devices and all I got
was a lawn full of tunnels. I got new mole hills right next to the things.
They appeared to have no effect whatsoever.

Apart from traps the only other thing I found that appeared to work were the
smoke sticks. They stopped new mole hills appearing for about two weeks -
then they came right back. I guess you could use them to clear an area then
install underground barriers but that's a lot of work.