Old 02-10-2007, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens,misc.rural
Ann[_2_] Ann[_2_] is offline

Default Avoiding the dangers of Roundup

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 20:51:26 -0700, Larry Caldwell wrote:

In article ,
(enigma) says...

if you can prove to me that this method is causing
glyphosphate drift into the soil/water, i'll look into another
method. as it stands now though, the PI has to go, & this is
the best option i can find.

Glyphosate takes a variable amount of time to break down, depending
mostly on temperature, but it binds immediately with any clay particles
it comes into contact with, which inactivates it.

Not exactly. I've been fresh cut stump treating with Roundup for three
years, mostly multiflora rose and Autumn Olive. I cut them off close to
the ground and also use a paint scraper to scarify exposed roots, then
brush on the Roundup. By the time I get to the end of a batch, I've
carried enough soil into the container with the brush that the solution is
seriously "murky", with some soil settled out on the bottom. I was
concerned about this at first, but found it still was effective. So, while
the glyphosate may have been adsorbed onto the surface of soil particles,
it was not inactivated.

The antidote for
accidental glyphosate ingestion is Kaopectate, which contains kaolin
clay. Even a slight murkiness in the water used to mix the spray will
reduce or eliminate the effectiveness of glyphosate. Essentially, once
it hits the ground, it's dead. It does not transport through the soil
by water motion.

It is not legal to machine apply glyphosate within 50 feet of open
water. Using a hand sprayer, you can get within 10 feet.