Old 03-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Polar

Default mulch fertilizer may pose hazard to dogs

On 03 Apr 2003 20:41:59 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

In case you are planning to do mulching this spring!

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page...s_iv_ctrl=1400

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Issues Cocoa Bean Fertilizer Warning

Friday, March 14, 2003

Organic mulch fertilizer may pose hazard to dogs

Contacts: Deborah Sindell

(212)-876-7700 ext. 4658

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(URBANA, IL) March 13, 2003 -- As spring approaches, people will start to

tend their lawns and gardens. Many will consider using cocoa bean mulch as

a fertilizer. Made from spent cocoa beans used in chocolate production,

cocoa bean mulch is organic, deters slugs and snails, and gives a garden an

appealing chocolate smell. However, it also attracts dogs, who can easily

be poisoned by eating the mulch.

[...]

ONe of the reasons I used it was its attractiveness, and the
allegation that it repelled cats. I do not have dogs.

However, I've been "talked out of it" by some Hon. Members
on this NG, and now use the less expensive, and (I think) equally
effective redwood mulch.

Comments on the latter welcome.

--
Polar