Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.nature,rec.gardens,rec.birds,sci.misc
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Poison Ivy

On 10/2/07 12:01 PM, in article ,
"Jerry Avins" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/2/07 9:17 AM, in article
, "Jack
Schmidling" wrote:

Everyone knows (or should know) what poison Ivy looks like.

But this one really took me by surprise....

js

Just found some in my perennial bed. I'm waiting until fall is truly here
(and after my parent's 50 anniversary party) to get the rubber gloves out.
After the last round and needing steroids to cure it, I'm taking no chances.

Denature the irritant on yourself and your tools with a moderately
strong alkali. Brown laundry soap (which contains some of the lye used
to make it) was once recommended, but it's hard to find and household
ammonia works much better. When I dealt with a large infestation last
year -- four trees had been overgrown with it for years -- I covered up
as completely as I could, then rinsed all exposed skin with ammonia when
done. I changed, bagged the clothes, rinsed again, and showered, I
washed the clothes when I got home after soaking them in ammonia. Nary a
blister.

Jerry

I basically got the PI in my blood stream and even though the initial
contact was only on my arm, it was erupting on my face and neck and a few
less comfortable spots. So for me it is rubber gloves, straight into a bag
with the lot (fortunately only a single vine) and a through wash for myself
and the clothes with the Rx soap. Not taking a single chance on repeat.