Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM posted to alt.permaculture
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default composting containers and enclosures

"JakeD" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:48:47 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

4 pallets would work and should be free the sort of wooden pallets used
for
bricks. Wire them together and fill then up.

Thank you for the tip. I guess one side of the enclosure could wired
up only on one side so that it can be opened like a gate, allowing you
to fork out the well-rotted stuff from the bottom of the heap. Is that
how you do it?

Yep, but it takes a lot of material to fill somewthing htis size. Also look
for an old piece of carpet to put on top of the compost to stop it drying
out. You could ram star pickets (Y posts I think they are called in US)
into the ground on the sides to hold it strongly but it may not need it.

I guess it makes sense to treat the timber with wood preservative, so
that it lasts longer, yes?

Depending on how available they are in your area, it may not be worth
bothering with. If they can be found anywhere then don't waste the money
and effort :-))