Old 03-10-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
gmb gmb is offline

Default Netting... leaf barriers... cages... fall leaves...

Last year we were brand new pond newbies, now we're a year older but
we "wintered" our surviving fish in a 100 outdoor gal. tank because
the _______ chipmunk ate a huge hole in the liner. Before the
"episode" we draped the pond with a net that had such huge holes it
caught EVERY heavy downward pointing oak leaf stem aimed for the
pond.

The "pond committee" - that would be me... and husband (the guy that
ends up doing most of the work - my job is "idea gal" and "point and
grunt" and "you didn't do it right" - OK guys... happy? I admit it.
Mr. "gravity man" (see aforementioned husband) was determined to reuse
hated netting. See man that drinks coffee and goes to work. See
Jane... errrr me shake, PLUCK pounds of offensive leaves. We've had
some non-heated but venus-mars conversations about leaves collecting
near the fence (we're talking a 2 month season and we are here to make
sure that isn't a problem with the NEIGHBOR's fence) and then the
aesthetic acceptances or compromises we are willing to take. I swore
I'd rather fish the huge volume of leaves that deal with that dreaded
big hole netting. I voted for frames (flat) with screening because
although flat it would be easy to broom or blow off. My lightweight
frame vision has taken on a heavier look - although we both agree
several frames are the answer, to store, move, maintain. One is
hinged. The bonus of such a plan is it is predator proof, but we
really only want to use it to thwart leaves. Although we haven't
actually stapled the screen in place, I know we are both wondering if
there wasn't a better answer (albeit temporary) that had a less
intrusive affect on our "lovely yard water feature. " Has ANY one
solved this his/her Lilliputian dilemna? We are afterall more mindful
of the fish safety and water clarity than appearances but hate to
defeat the original purpose of something we can look out the window
and enjoy. Discuss...