Old 03-10-2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Ping: Cheryl Isaak

On 10/2/07 6:25 PM, in article PzzMi.586$0I5.511@trnddc08, "Travis"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/2/07 3:30 PM, in article ,
"Leon Fisk" wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:44:16 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:31:02 -0500, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 17:14:16 -0400, "AlanG"
wrote:

Can I ask you something via e-mail?
Pardon my querry, what does the Ping do in the subject line?
It's a computer term used mainly in reference to cross server
communications in which a "ping" (small packet of data) is sent to
confirm that the other server is alive (connectible). In the event that
a server receives a ping, a pong is sent back which is a conformation
data packet made up of EPOCH time.

But in this case, consider it a "hey you"..
thanks for explaining. I've seen it over the years and always
wondered what it meant!

Not sure just what flavor Windows you are running, but if
you can bring up a command prompt, type in:

ping yahoo.com

Then try it again with something made up, like this:

ping
www.youbethaha.com

Have fun!

What is this Windows? Are they some thing you open to make air move about?

Cheryl
(I hate the evil empire)

Why are you using a Microsoft product if that is how you feel?

It was a joke man.

Actually, I'm stuck with some Microsoft products until the last kid is out
of HS. There are at least three teachers a year that require all papers to
be also turned in as a Word file on a CD. No other format is allowed.

Actually, I keep wondering how Entourage got to be so useable.