Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cheryl Isaak Cheryl Isaak is offline

Default Ping: Cheryl Isaak

On 10/3/07 12:03 PM, in article
, "John McWilliams"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/2/07 6:25 PM, in article PzzMi.586$0I5.511@trnddc08, "Travis"
wrote:

Why are you using a Microsoft product if that is how you feel?

It was a joke man.

Actually, I'm stuck with some Microsoft products until the last kid is out
of HS. There are at least three teachers a year that require all papers to
be also turned in as a Word file on a CD. No other format is allowed.

Actually, I keep wondering how Entourage got to be so useable.

Write a stern E-mail to the school board. Include such phrases as
"economics"; "forced purchases" [Word and CDs]; "discrimination";
"PDF"[free, universal, and uncopyable]; "resource waste", and so forth.
Also note that it's a waste of time, energy and resources (burning a CD)
for a tiny bit of info that could be easily e-mailed if the "teacher"
had a brain and a will to stop such waste and rigidity. I bet they have
to turn in a printed copy, too, no?

Aaaaaaccchhhhh!

Of course they do - waste paper and don't get the CD back half the time.
(which is why there is a stack on write onlys and a stack of read-writes)

Honestly, I'm just way too tired right now to deal with that fight. But, I'm
wondering about sending the younger one to a private HS.

I actually understand some of the .doc only format; it allows the teacher to
run a program that checks for plagiarism with a web search (oh the sites out
there for essays on just about any subject, book, etc and desired grade you
want to get.)

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if/when a freeware guru runs in to those
teachers.
Cheryl