Old 03-10-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_62_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_62_] is offline

Default Using fish blood & bone fertilizer ...

JakeD wrote:
:: Another novice veg-growing question...
::
:: I've prepared some vegetable beds. The soil looks reasonably dark and
:: rich, but has not had anything much growing in it for a few years, so
:: I've spread a load of compost onto the freshly-dug beds, which,
:: hopefully, the worms will take down into the soil over the course of
:: the winter. I read somewhere that it might be good to add some
:: nitrogen too. So I bought a box of fish, blood & bone meal. The
:: question is: When is the best time to apply the stuff? Now? Or in
:: Spring, just prior to planting? How long does it carry on enriching
:: the soil after it has been applied? Is there any need to dig it in,
:: or can you just sprinkle it on the surface and let the rain and the
:: worms do the rest?
::
:: Many thanks,
::
:: JD

I would apply it in spring in generous handfulls and gently rake it in. It
will last through the season