Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 AM posted to alt.permaculture
SteveSch SteveSch is offline

Default composting containers and enclosures

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:10:39 +0100, JakeD wrote:

I guess it makes sense to treat the timber with wood preservative, so
that it lasts longer, yes?

Many folks would say no. The preservative can, and probably will, leach
into the compost. I'd rather have to replace the pallets. You might not
want to use treated wood either.

Have you thought about sheet composting? You just spread the organic
matter over the ground and till it in. Over the winter the worms will
feast on the matter and improve your soil. In the spring/summer you can
just make a pile. Then when your peas are done, till it all in that area
along with the pea plants. Very little storage area is needed that way.

I have one area (5' X 50' strip) in the backyard where I tilled in approx
400 pounds of pumpkins. Two years ago I tilled in a pickup load of leaves
in another small area. We have great soil compared to the rest of our area.

We do have 2 plastic compost bins that we fill on a regular basis, 5-6
times a year. When I fill them I have to pretty much sit on the lid to get
it on. Everything I add in whole. I had to bend the corn stocks to get
them in the bin. I throw entire squash, pumpkins, tree branches (1" and
smaller), weeds. My wife is giving a class on composting and she is going
to take photos of the insides of our bins. I guess to use as an example of
how not to use a bin. I don't cut anything up I put into the bins. I also
don't care about green brown ratios. Don't put meat into the bins,
although you probably knew that already.

We've only used the bins here for three years. We haven't had to empty
them one time. I am amazed at how times I've filled them.

Good luck,
Steve