Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_9_] Jonno[_9_] is offline

Default Slater aka wood louse

Now we know why they dont damage them and why others say they do....
A lack of natural food....

Terryc wrote:
Jonno wrote:
If anyone is growing these kind of crops, they may be a problem.
Seems they may be after moisture as they require this to survive....
The large numbers attacking crops and the current drought may be the
reason.

Which basically says what I said, if you do not have preferred food,
then they might eat your seedlings.

I grow a garden. I do not run broad acre agriculture. Slaters are very
helpful to me in breaking down organic matter in my "compost" bins.

Here, they are not know for leaving the bins and travelling the few feet
to eat seedlings. Even when they are in the garden, they'll chew on the
mulch, fungi, etc out of preference to seedlings.

In scorched earth gardening or agriculture, yes, they can be a problem.