Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Advice wanted: dealing with an unloved garden- where to start?

On 4/10/07 08:41, in article ,
"RipSlider" ripJUNKslider{at}gJUNKmail-dot-coJUNKm - delete junk wrote:

Hello all.

I'm new on the forum, so apologies if I'm going over old ground here.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm moving into a new house, and the
garden hasn't been touched for a year. Frankly I don't know where to
start.

snip

In a way, you're lucky. This is a good time of year to tidy a garden and
'put it to bed' for the winter. If you get a dry spell, cut the grass - a
garden looks instantly tidier when that is done and lawn edges are neatened.
You can cut back any shrubs that don't have obvious buds forming for early
winter flowering and telling us where you live will help others in the same
area to advise you better.
I wouldn't do any serious digging because you might find yourself damaging
bulbs waiting to delight you in spring.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk