Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Oct 3, 10:15 pm, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Sacha
says...

On 3/10/07 16:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| I can't get in. I get a blank page with in the corner a barely
| visible "loading..." thingy that keeps ticking away and getting
| nowhere.

I can reach it, but it is total junk. I am not a flasher, and can't
be bothered to reverse engineer misdesigned Web nonsense unless I
have a very good reason to.

I don't think it's junk but I think it needs careful proof-reading by
someone other than its designer. There are spelling and punctuation
mistakes as in 'accidently' instead of 'accidentally' and 'your' when it
should be 'you're'. Small things but not confidence inspiring if
repetitive.

I agree about the spelling. In a former life I received lots of job
applications from people. Some people had several spelling mistakes on
the envelope (before even getting to the CV). For example spelling the
name of the company and town incorrectly. Others had the most appalling,
illegible hand writing on the envelope. In work where accuracy, clarity
and communication (both written and verbal) is important this eliminated
them before even opening the envelope and reading their CV.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people gave out-of-date or badly
spelled email addresses on their CV. On several occasions, people that
were sent interview invitations never received them due to this. The
emails bounced back to me because the email address given in the CV was
not valid.

When needing to filter out lots of applicants for one position, such
carelessness on job applications proved to be one way of eliminating
candidates.

Obviously it depended on the job. A Mike mentioned, a cleaner would not
be eliminated on the basis of their spelling. Though, it could lead to
signs on the toilet doors saying "Bog is art a horder" :-)

And why miss out on such poetry?

But seriously, I think it should be taken as constructive criticism by
the OP, who is after all intending to make a living out of "designing"
things that are useful to people, that the website he/she uses to
advertise her/his wares puts off at least some people, and therefore
potential customers.
I still can't get in, by the way. I suspect my system here is
allergic to it.

Cat(h)

I can't get past the front page either - while there is a way past the
Flash animation this doesn't work for me. I suspect that this is due to
the use of JavaScript in the web page. (Unnecessary use of JavaScript
seems to be a least as common a sin as unnecessary use of Flash.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley