Old 04-10-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I design something that will be useful while gardening?

In message . com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Oct 4, 11:55 am, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| I can't get past the front page either - while there is a way past the
| Flash animation this doesn't work for me. I suspect that this is due to
| the use of JavaScript in the web page. (Unnecessary use of JavaScript
| seems to be a least as common a sin as unnecessary use of Flash.)

Yes :-(

I have seen pages where the menu item to select the text-only pages
was encoded as a Flash image, and ones where the item to select no
JavaScript was handled by JavaScript.

D'oh.

To be fair to the OP, when one is young and discovering all the sexy
software available, it's easy to get carried away with what those
packages allow you to do by way of sparkly twinkly displays.
I used to use lots of animations in Powerpoint. I have come back to
mucho pared down presentations, which give information without
distraction.
Good design must be uncluttered and functional.
That also applies to website design.
I have a funny feeling that one of the reasons why I can't get into
the website is because my security system registers it as potentially
non-secure - quite possibly because of excessive bells and whistles.
It would not be the first time. That too excludes a whole pile of
potential customers.
But I am sure this future pro designer will learn all this in time -
maybe even with a little help from this thread.

Cat(h)

Also, it at least used to be the case that some "leading" web design
software was designed to produce bad web pages - early versions of MS
FrontPage were notorious.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley