Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default celeriac

In article ,
Henriette Kress wrote:

wrote:

Jim Kingdon wrote:
I bought a celeriac bulb the other day, it had the celery stick and
leaves still attached. They are very very green and wilted, but I
thought I might be able to put them in stews and soups. I've frozen
them. But then I wondered, are they safe? Could they be poisonious.

No worries about poisonous, and I don't think there are big issues
with flavor/bitterness/etc. At least one of my seed catalogs lists
their celeriac as "celery/celeriac".

Thank you for your answer, I just wondered because these were VERY
green and I was thinking of clorafil in potatoes and the nearness in
species that celery/celeriac is to rubbarb. I am a very frugal woman
and try not to waste anything.

Chlorophyll is the green part of all green plants.

The toxic part of potatoes is called solanine, and found in a lot of
Solanaceous
plants (for instance green potatoes).

Rhubarb contains lots of oxalic acid. Rhubarb is not related to celery -
unless
you count the fact that they're both flowering plants. Celery wouldn't have a
clue what oxalic acid looks like, let alone produce some itself ...

The dark leaf you get off a celeriac bulb can be quite a bit stronger in
taste
than the pampered sun-shaded light green celery stalks, but it's the same
plant
- just a different growth form.
Like you get round and oblong tomatoes - same plant, different cultivars.

Use less of your dark green leaf, unless you want the whole dish to taste of
nothing but celery.

Henriette

With oxalic acid, like with many things, we are talking concentration.
Oxalic acid is generally added to store bought bread to keep it from
spoiling. You will also find it in sour grass, that so many of us
enjoyed as kids. Rhubarb leaves are the only example I can think of
where you may encounter toxic levels of oxalic acid.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley