Old 04-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Bob Provencher

Default How much soil do I need?

"Darby Wiggins" wrote in message
The front area has never had any good soil, so I anticipate needing to
dig out a lot of bad soil and replacing it with good soil. How thick of
a layer of new soil should I use? Also, the area is shaped like a kidney
bean cut in half. Its about 5 maybe 6 feel long and at best 2.5 feet
deep. I want to put seeds of asylum and forget-me-not there and see
what happens.

5 x 6 x 2.5 would be 75 cubic feet. That's 75 bags, if you only want to go
down a foot that would be 30 bags, 6 inches, 15 bags.

If you're going for the full 2.5 feet deep, I'd forget about that bags and
have someone deliver 3 yards of soil (1 yard is 27 cubic feet). Also, rent
a backhoe to dig it out .

The back had new Miracle Gro soil put in it last year and its maybe 2' x
3'. I also plan to use 2-3 pots that are about 12" in diameter at the
lip and about a foot tall. I assume I don't need to put all dirt in this
and can use some med. sized pebbles for drainage....

6 bags per foot of depth of dirt here.

--
Bob Provencher
ICQ 881862