Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default Netting... leaf barriers... cages... fall leaves...

k wrote:

I hold secret grudges against neighbors
that cut them down (grumble, grumble, snarl!!!)

k :-)

Depends on the tree.......looking out over the back of our house we have
a wonderful planting of fir trees and redwoods......magnificent trees
that I would hate to see ever go......(these are in a cemetry so very
unlikely to go) and then the other half of our back garden overlooks an
allotment (don't know if you have such things in the US but these are
rented plots for the growing of veg etc - great idea and back it all the
way - plus no houses overlooking us)......but the trees growing there
are sycamores......there are at least 3 in a small area over 30
foot....they drop their seeds into our garden so I spend a lot of time
pulling up the seedlings....and these have a habit of growing anywhere
and everywhere - we have one that the previous owners neglected that we
have to trim back to stop it threatening the foundations of the house -
we can't remove it as it is already part of the house structure......it
was these trees that poisoned my old pond because I just couldn't keep
up with what they shed........cut them down or at very least prune them
I say.....

Now, in our garden we have this tree that I can't see performs any
decent function in life other than to maybe cut CO2 emissions.....it is
the ugliest thing ever......it doesn't go to leaf until June.....it has
some sort of flower in July that drops all over the lawn.....it dies off
about November - no colour to the leaves....they go black and
drop.....and we also get big branches all over - another tree I don't
want.....nor do Next Door - we are just waiting for them to offer half
of the felling cost and we will do it......

I love trees.....but I don't want them poisoning my pond or killing my
lawn and plants........I will replace the trees I can pull down within
my control with more "garden friendly" stuff but I have a grudge against
the tree in my garden and the sycamores at the back......

Gill