Old 05-10-2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] nancy.robertson@gmail.com is offline

Default Tree ID & Damage Advice

On Oct 3, 3:09 pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Can someone please ID this tree?

http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...e_id_pic_2.php

I also need advice on how to treat this chronic bleeding wound. From
what the past owner said, it bleeds like that every year.

http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/...e_id_pic_4.php

Click the magnifying glass to zoom if you need a closer look.

from your pictures it looks like a Chinese Elm.

However, it could MAYBE be an Amereican Elm.

A picture from a greater distance so we can see the whole tree would
be useful in identification. Also a picture of the leaves with
something (a ruler would be good) that tells us the size of the leaf
would also help. Chinese Elms have small leaves of fairly rought
texture. American Elms have large leaves that are smooth on the
underside.

If it as an American Elm it is worth trying to save as they are very
special trees. Those that have survived the Dutch Elm Disease are a
hope for restoring them to the American forests.