Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Tree ID & Damage Advice

Correction

The outer bark is dead. The slim flux kills micros living on bark. The
outer bark is born alive. It uses its energy quickly buying suberin.
Without energy it dies.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Scott

That would be my recommendation. The slim flux does kill bark. Also
turf. This is the thing. It's better to have one fox in the hen house
than 50 coming in. Wetwood alters the wood to a higher state of
protection. It keeps the other bad guys out. Its a niche. Proper
mulching and other treatments would be good for your tree.

proper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
symplastless wrote:
Trees do not bleed. I.e., if you put blood on your pancakes this
morning.

There is wet wood. I would suggest two books on wetwood of trees.
Common on elms.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/NTB.html

Wetwood - Wetwood is a term used for both a disease of wood and for the
wood, altered as a result of the disease.
Wetwood is wood infected by anaerobic bacteria mostly. See "wetwood"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/W/index.html

Do not use drain tubes to drain wetwood.

So I should just let it alone and not try and seal it or anything?