Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM posted to alt.permaculture
JakeD JakeD is offline

Default composting containers and enclosures

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:10:39 +0100, JakeD wrote:

We do have 2 plastic compost bins that we fill on a regular basis, 5-6
times a year. When I fill them I have to pretty much sit on the lid to get
it on. Everything I add in whole. I had to bend the corn stocks to get
them in the bin. I throw entire squash, pumpkins, tree branches (1" and
smaller), weeds. My wife is giving a class on composting and she is going
to take photos of the insides of our bins. I guess to use as an example of
how not to use a bin. I don't cut anything up I put into the bins. I also
don't care about green brown ratios. Don't put meat into the bins,
although you probably knew that already.

We've only used the bins here for three years. We haven't had to empty
them one time. I am amazed at how times I've filled them.

That's interesting. Since my original query, I think I've settled on
a plan...

We have two black plastic dustbins that aren't being used (leftovers
from before our (UK) local council introduced big wheelie bins). The
two older bins are cylidrical, except narrower at the
bottom than at the top. My plan is to place one of these on some bare
earth, near the kitchen door and also near my vegetable patch. I plan
to make some 2" diameter holes in the sides (for ventilation) and in
the bottom (to allow the worms to come and go).

When the bin is full, I'll take the lid off and invert the bin onto an
adjacent patch of ground. (It should empty out easily due to the
tapered shape of the bin.)

What was at the bottom of the bin will now be at the top of the
resulting pile, and I will shovel that off, directly onto my vegetable
patch. The unrotted remainder will go back into the bin, and the bin
will be used as before and so on. Well, that's the
theory, anyway. I'll report back after I've tried it.

I'll add a couple of hanfuls of earth from the veggie patch
every time I empty the kitchen waste bag into the bin. I gather this
will aid composting.

Comments invited... and if anyone can think of a good use for that
other spare bin...

JD