Old 06-10-2007, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Coon Mike Coon is offline

Default Blue Tit activity

'Mike' wrote:
"Mike Coon" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Just had a Blue Tit giving serious consideration to a Tit Box we put
up very early in the year under the veranda just outside the patio
doors.

Don't know about serious, but a BT has visited my box recently and
prompted me to clean it out (with sterilising boiling water) in case
there were some hungry parasites in there waiting for just such a
visitation to get a new host. I've seen it in previous years too.

It might be because the day-length is similar to that in Spring and
they have not noticed that days are shortening instead of
lengthening. I don't think you'll see any interest until the weather
is bad enough to justify their roosting in the box.

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

Will keep an eye open for activity, but will keep the feeders topped
up ;-))
Mike

I have been observing the blue tits in these Spring-like days. Their
behaviour is very like Spring nest-finding activity with a pair definitely
involved. Unfortunately I cannot tell whether they are the pair that
successfully raised a couple of chicks to fledging this year. One bird,
probably the female, is hammering away inside the box. But I'm still
expecting this enthusiasm to wane as the days lengthen and the
weather becomes more autumnal.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.