Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Advice wanted: dealing with an unloved garden- where to start?

"RipSlider" ripJUNKslider{at}gJUNKmail-dot-coJUNKm - delete junk wrote in
message ...

Thanks for all the comments so far.

As Helen states, I'm in York. The village I'm moving to is a few miles
outside the city, so it will be pretty exposed and windy. There are
fields on two sides, so I'm expecting a chilly winter!!

OK, here is my plan of action, based on the advice you've given so far
plus a few days intensive reading.

If anything isn't right, please let me know:

1) Dig out pond. Mud on the compost heaps ( there are two in place )
and fill with water, then leave over winter. fish and plants added in
spriing
2) chop tree's back by about 1/3 into a tidy shape
3) chop the woody shrubs back fairly hard, as required by their space
and location
4) dead head/cut back rest of plants
5) Mow and edge the lawn with a half moon spade. At some point, I'm
thinking of edging at least the back garden lawn with bricks. Any
issues doing this in winter?

Don't think so. You could use empty wine bottles instead "~))
See bottom of page : http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenfront.htm

6) fork over the borders, especially in the front. Manure added.
7) Set up a leaf litter bin
8) put up a few bird boxes ( Is it too late to do this?)

I also have a few new questions if that's ok?

a) I've read about "green manure", but not sure what it is. It seems to
be some type of grass. can someone tell me about it? Usages, pro's,
con's etc

See this : http://www.kitchengardens.dial.pipex...reenmanure.htm

b) I'm starting to think about next year, especially spring and early
summer. Any specific plants that I should be planting around now? Is it
to late for daffodils? I know that tulips need to go in later on. How
about crocus, snowbells , blue bells etc? Remember that the garden is
exposed.

It's a fraction late but you can still plant bulbs - tulip, daffs, crocs,
hyacinths etc..... Later planting will mean that they bloom a bit later, but
will be fine. Look out in the GC's for reduced bulbs :~))

3) raised beds: I won't be growing any vegs. Is there a point to a
raised bed purely for flowers? If so, is winter an OK time to construct
one?

No special advantages unless for instance you are on clay and want to grow
rhodendendrons (acid soil lovers) Or you want a dry bed for sun loving
plants - raised ones drain better.

Why do you want raised beds ? is it part of a design feature?

I have loads, but that is because my garden is a concrete space :~)
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

many thanks
Steve

Jenny