Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Rusty Chives

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , Broadback says...
David in Normandy wrote:
The Mrs has dug up all our chives because they were showing signs of
rust. Was this really necessary? Would they have come back again next
year badly infected or clean? We have some other chives grown from seed
in pots, should they be planted in a different place?

I had a rust problem with garlic and onions. The advice here was not to
grow them in the same place next year, so it seems like the spores live
on, in which case I guess you need new chives in a new area.

Thanks, looks like the Mrs was right then. Seems a pity really, we've
had the chives for ten years, just kept dividing them. Brought a clump
to France with us a couple of years ago. Shame. At least we've got some
replacements - grown from the free seeds in Gardeners World earlier this
year.
David in Normandy.

I buy a pot from the supermarket - divide it up and plant out.....
Jenny