Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default the wind - my garden

"0tterbot" wrote in message
massive whinge alert!!!!! g

we've had horrendous winds for nearly two weeks. i'm just about to lose my
mind outright - i'm near homicidal (along with half the town). which is
one thing, but the difficulties the garden is having is quite another!!

i haven't helped myself at all by having planted out baby things just
before it started up, which means i'm trying to keep them alive by
watering 2-3 times a day until the wind calms down.

all my mulch is blowing away.

more than half my chooks are wigging out so badly they're off the lay &
are anxious all the time. the more laid-back hens are all right, but have
had to resort to digging deep holes & sitting in them with just their
heads popping out :-)

various of the veg have responded to conditions by BOLTING & i don't think
i can bring them back.

the greenhouse has now been officially ruined (it didn't blow away but has
torn to pieces) so many of the wee things in punnets are also dead/dying -
and i have no greenhouse now. and i'm misting punnets 4-5 times/day to
keep the remainder alive.

to make matters worse, the chickens and garden are serially harrassed by
black choughs - the most evil birds in the world - who have picked this
week to come back. they dug out my blue-green ixia (to which i was very
much looking forward) & various other nice things, in their attempts to
steal all my worms (and i've worked very hard for my worms, dammit - there
just weren't any when we came so i've been very proud of how many i have
now). the choughs make the chooks even more stressed, me even more
stressed, & contribute to the mulch & hence soil all blowing away.

AAAARGH.

have you had winds where you are? how is the garden going??
kylie, who is losing it. (although nobody has been killed or injured by
falling gums. whew!!)

And there was I looking forward to the wind created by my cabbages. I
apologise in advance.