Old 07-10-2007, 06:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default the wind - my garden

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

various of the veg have responded to conditions by BOLTING & i don't
think i can bring them back.

If you work it out, please let us know.

don't hold your breath :-)

Last weekend we nominated a
patch of spinach up the back to be allowed to bolt to replentish the seed
stock.

This weekend,the larger patch that was busy producing copious nice leaves
is now bolting full time. Our Italian neighbour complained the stalks are
now too large (he only eats the stalk part), but we can still find tender
leaf.

Still plenty of spinach for us, but that will makes yet another large plot
to be soon turned over and prepared for replanting. The lettuce went fron
nice to yuk and bolted a last week as well.

my lettuce always ends up bolting (refer prior whinges ;-) even when i've
thought it was finally going nicely. dh had a dh-like brain wave in which he
suggested we just let any of them that bolt go for it, & self-seed whereever
they want. i have a notion that either this will solve the problem outright,
or at least mean it had nothing to do with ME. g

Reminds me, time to plant more coriander.

The worst part about collecting your own seed is that is just seems to
take so long for it to fully form.

i am too disorganised to actually _collect_ the seed (except coriander, of
course) but as i've now got rocket, dill, parsley just going wild, i've
decided it's a top idea to let certain things just go for it - easier on me,
the plants that grow are sturdy & happy, & it fills the garden nicely!

i salute your patience, terry. i have none at all, due to the wind. :-/
kylie