Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)[_2_] Cat(h)[_2_] is offline

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 04:56:42 -0700, Des Higgins
wrote:

On Oct 6, 12:42 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 6, 11:32 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

... The wormery was
for small volumes of kitchen waste (rice, fois gras, caviar past best
by date etc.). ...

How on Earth do you have such leftovers? We never had food leftovers here
but I wouldn't put them on the garden compost heap even if we did.

Mary

ehhhh, I was possibly joking.

I guessed that, but how can you have any kind of food waste?

It wastes money as well as nutrients. It's also a waste of effort for the
growers, sellers and preparers - even if you prepared it yourself. I think
that's an insult to those people. If it's animal food it's a waste of a part
of that animal's life.

Mary
Not a WI member

It is really easy; I live in a city; I work hard during the day and
sometimes at weekends and evenings; we have kids; we do not have any
livestock (no chickens, no dog; no goat and now no worms); we do
recycle more than almost anyone I know; we are one of the few people
in my area to even have a compost heap; our fridge is full of
leftovers; we grow some of our own veg (in our suburban back garden);
it is still impossible to avoid throwing stuff out and have a life.
We already do more than almost anyone I know in the city and the last
10 yards just are not worth it. After all that, any food that is
still there and that has become dangerous, gets put on the compost
heap or, in the case of the fois gras and caviar, thrown out.

Des

Just a quick reminder: should you at any stage be in a state of foie
gras surplus, please think of your favourite not so distant neighbour
out here in Kildare. I'll swap it for this year's blackberry jam (in
this, we're talking futures, for I'm planning to pick them tomorrow -
btw, fresh foie gras quickly pan-fried with berries (rasp, black, etc)
is pretty divine.
You can keep the caviar.

Speaking of food waste, the Beloved and I are pretty good at using
stuff, but what with having work time tables that cannot always be
100% predicted in advance of doing the weekly shopping, and which can
involve unplanned and enforced eating out, we still end up with some
stuff that must be thrown out. It galls me, but it cannot be totally
helped. As much of it as humanly possible goes onto the compost heap.
A two-person household must be the most wasteful entity on the planet,
except perhaps for a single person...
I'd love to find a composting solution which allows me to chuck in
everything rather than binning it.
What about those tumbler thingies?
Oh, and allez les bleus!!!

Cat(h)