Old 07-10-2007, 09:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default the wind - my garden

0tterbot wrote:

my lettuce always ends up bolting (refer prior whinges ;-) even when i've
thought it was finally going nicely. dh had a dh-like brain wave in which he
suggested we just let any of them that bolt go for it, & self-seed whereever
they want. i have a notion that either this will solve the problem outright,
or at least mean it had nothing to do with ME. g

we tend to move it from one plot to the next by either;

1) pulling out the whole plant flowers have dies and large paper bagging
it, then scattering the seeds 7 stuff when appropriate, or

2) pulling the plant when most of the flowers have died and jst dropping
on top of the mulch in the new plot.

i am too disorganised to actually _collect_ the seed

See method above. It is just storing the large paper shoppng bags, etc.
The major problem about "collecting" you own seeds was all the dust that
blew back in my face when I tried to blow off the husks, etc. Hence the
above method.

(except coriander, of course) but as i've now got rocket, dill,
parsley just going wild,

YES, we seem to finally (cross fingers) maintain parsley by
self-seeding. For years we strugged to keep parsley growing. No,it looks
after itself. I had to alter the spud planting plans today as I noticed
that two parsley had added themselves to the corrander row.

i salute your patience, terry. i have none at all, due to the wind. :-/

Well, when your the shovel man, it is easy to have patience.
we have plenty of space as well.
Now, if it was a wet year, it might be a different matter.