Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default The Lie of the "Green Revolution"

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:33:27 -0700, Billy wrote:

Below is an excerpt from the Washington Post. Some of you may recognize
the author's name.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...9/28/AR2007092
801324.html

THE GOOD EARTH
The Blessings of Dirty Work

By Barbara Kingsolver
Washington Post
Sunday, September 30, 2007

Vandana Shiva, director of the Research Foundation for Science,
Technology and Natural Resource Policy, is an elegant scientist in her
silk sari, with a red bindi on her forehead like an accent mark over her
broad smile. She was trained as a physicist but is best known for her
work for farmers' rights. The soil of her country, India, is home to
one-quarter of all the world's farmers. Increasingly they grow
commodities for export rather than traditional, locally adapted foods
for their own communities. This strategy was laid out by the
technological Green Revolution, as it was called in the 1970s (when
"green" was not the word it is today), which promised that one farmer
with the right tools and chemicals could feed hundreds, freeing the rest
of us for cleaner work.

Makes me think of a song......

"Tragedy
Now you tell me
Who you gonna get to do the dirty work
When all the slaves are free?"
~Joni Mitchell

For more on the work and activism of Vandana Shiva see this:

http://www.zmag.org/bios/homepage.cfm?authorID=90

A search of CounterCurrents will turn up articles on the suicides of
Indian farmers.

Excellant post, Billy. More people need to be aware of the situation
in other parts of the world and look to the misery that has been
created in order to see our future. Factory farming must be abandoned.

I spent the afternoon creating another compost heap...6x6x6...green
garden refuse and raked leaves and did the layering thing....inoculated
and watered and ready to start cookin'. Looks like, after the leaves
all fall, and all the garden tailings are used, I should have as many
more this size as I want.

FFF - Fart For Fuel. Oh, and FB! And Monsanto.
Charlie

Spoken as a "Real American". Down with tyrants every where.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley