Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
xPosTech[_2_] xPosTech[_2_] is offline

Default please identify this weed

On 10/7/2007 7:45 PM, Pawel Slusarz wrote:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Got any Liquidambar styraciflua in the area?

Not that I know of, but it's possible, even though the plant's official
range ends 300 miles south of here.

I have noticed that "aromatic foliage" is a quality of this plant. I
forgot to mention, but my "weed" emits a pleasant lime-like aroma when I
destroy the sprouts. I also see "chlorosis" mentioned as one of the
potential diseases - some of the sprouts (5% or so) end up dying from it
before I can get to them.

Sweet of Eggs to identify that 'weed' for you. If you're sure there are
no /trees/ with leaves like that nearby (even next door), scratching the
roots and applying RoundUp to the scratches might take care of them. A
caveat- a friend at Sam Rayburn wanted to kill a sassafras tree that
kept coming up next to his house and did the above. He also killed 4
more nearby. Their roots, like sweet gum, are(were) interconnected.

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

If you're not a part of the solution,there's
good money to be made in prolonging the problem.