Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pawel Slusarz Pawel Slusarz is offline

Default please identify this weed

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Really? Where'd you get your range information? A lookup of L. styraciflua

First 3 links at google...

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...heet.cfm?ID=53
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/l/liqsty/liqsty1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sweetgum

If you have them in St. Louis, I should have them here in Columbia, so
I'll start scouting the neighborhood tomorrow.

I have noticed that "aromatic foliage" is a quality of this plant. I
forgot to mention, but my "weed" emits a pleasant lime-like aroma when I
destroy the sprouts.

That would be a new one on me, then. Are the stems hollow?

No, stems are not hollow. I just pulled one of the mature ones you see
on the picture. I did not notice before, but the bigger leaves do not
give off any smell, only the new ones - light green in color and under
1" in size.