Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

In message , Sacha
writes
On 7/10/07 16:50, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Why on earth not? I do. And I have difficulty in believing that you
| NEVER forget anything in the fridge, decide that food is too horrible
| to eat, or have nothing left over for any of the other common
reasons.

| It might be difficult for you. For people who've been poor - and
hungry -
| it's not. We waste nothing.

I have, and I doubt that you are that hungry at present.

No but I haven't forgotten those days.

It is also fairly
common for not all of what you buy or grow to be fit to eat. For example,
blighted potatoes.

Even this year our potatoes haven't been blighted and the people I buy from
wouldn't sell them.

There are some parts of food items I don't eat but I wouldn't call them food
so it's not food which is being wasted - e.g. apple stalks.

snip

Aren't apple stalks good for you? I thought the tiny about of cyanide (?)
present was a good thing? Should we all eat our apple stalks or will we die
a horrible death as a result?

While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to not
markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
dangerous.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley