Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default The Lie of the "Green Revolution"

In article ,
Josh Kalish wrote:

Billy wrote:
involved in the work of feeding that population. Industrial agriculture
did not 'save' anyone from that work, it only shifted people into other
forms of food service."

Ah, too bad that we can't become subsistence farmers again. Life was
truly better then. Damn science!

Oh we can become subsistence farmers, all you need are patented seeds,
and chemical fertilizers. Chemical fertilizers give you about one
calorie out for each calorie you invest, whereas with crop rotation you
get two calories out for each calorie put in. The up side is less
dependence on petroleum products (no need for megalomaniacal wars for
oil), healthy soil (which is less prone to erosion, you do know about
the loss of top soil, don't you?), and cleaner water ( which in the
mid-west is toxic in places for use in babies formula, and which cause
giant dead zones off the coasts of America, which impact the harvesting
of sea food). The Republicans shut down the Congressional Office of
Technology Assessment which gave scientific assessments of legislation
and set up debates between wackos (bad science proponents:
administration's cretins) and those who represented mainstream science
(Union of Concerned Scientists). Under such an administration, a straw
man can be constructed which depicts organic farmers as subsistence
farmers and science that shows otherwise can be held in contempt. NY
TIMES MAGAZINE article by RON SUSKIND where he talks with a WHITE HOUSE
aide....According to Mr. Suskind, "The aide said that guys like me were
'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as
people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of
discernible reality. " The aide told Mr. Suskind, "That's not the way
the world really works anymore. We're an empire now, and when we act we
create our own reality."

But just because the anal sphincter in the White House says it's true,
probably means it isn't. But it takes so much more space to show what an
ignorant ass you are than for you to say, "Damn Science".

You are truly a waste of time Josh Kalish.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley