Old 08-10-2007, 08:02 AM posted to alt.permaculture
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default composting containers and enclosures

"JakeD" wrote in message
We have two black plastic dustbins that aren't being used (leftovers
from before our (UK) local council introduced big wheelie bins). The
two older bins are cylidrical, except narrower at the
bottom than at the top. My plan is to place one of these on some bare
earth, near the kitchen door and also near my vegetable patch. I plan
to make some 2" diameter holes in the sides (for ventilation) and in
the bottom (to allow the worms to come and go).

Wrong sort of worms Jake. The worms used in wormeries are red and are
called compost worms.

These sites might help:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1074679.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1620935.htm

Comments invited... and if anyone can think of a good use for that
other spare bin...

Use it to make liquid manure which you let fester for a few weeks then
dilute to the colour of weak tea and pour on plants. You can put in manure
held in an old mesh sack or just throw in clipping weeds and top with water,
or pee in it occassionally or all sorts of things.