Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
a_plutonium a_plutonium is offline

Default tomatoes evolved before potato and created potato ? potato plants do well in Spring and Fall but not in summer

Ferd Farkel wrote:

This makes sense.

Potatoes are not roots, but tubers, offshoots of vegetative
stems, not roots. This is why they're buried in deep trenches
and hilled as they grow.

I wonder if they have completed the genome of both the tomato and
potato. I believe
the origins of potato are South America and the origins of tomato
somewhere in Africa.
So I suspect that tomatoes were earlier in evolution then potatoes and
that some
tomato found its way to South America and with the cooler mountain
climate became
the potato.

I am not sure of the time reckoning of Continental Drift from Africa
land bridges to South
America for things such as monkeys and camel to llama. And whether
tomato to
potato. Seems as though Continental drift is hundreds of millions,
even billions of years
whereas plant and animal species is a few million years so how much
Continental
Drift plays into this.

One of the reasons I suspect this is because I noticed on some
potatoes a tomato
like growth.

A genomics of these two species should provide clues as to which came
first and whether
one is the ancestor of the other.

Archimedes Plutoniumwww.iw.net/~a_plutonium