Old 08-10-2007, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
xPosTech[_2_] xPosTech[_2_] is offline

Default Push button starter

On 10/7/2007 11:20 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
"xPosTech" wrote in message
On 10/7/2007 8:42 PM, xPosTech wrote:
On 10/7/2007 8:24 PM, Srgnt Billko wrote:
I have 2 old Farmall tractors (actually 4 but two in particular) - one
is not running. The other has a starter problem. I want to take the
starter out of the 1st and put it in the 2nd. Trouble is the one I want
to replace is mechanical lever energized and the one I want to put in
was started by push button which was wired direct - battery to switch,
switch to starter. I bought a new heavy duty push button ($17 at NAPA)
and was planning to make a mount for it. But now I'm thinking instead
of running battery cables to and from the switch, I should be thinking
about installing a starter solenoid - but it would have to be real heavy
duty cause these are 6 volt tractors. Any thoughts ?

Tractor Supply

http://www.mytscstore.com

Sarge

I just remembered how convoluted the TSC web site was. Use the link above
to locate the store nearest you and get the address and phone #. I took a
quick peek at the site and didn't see any solenoids, but can guarantee
they carry both 12v and 6v solenoids (and you can pickup a carb rebuild
kit or two while you're there).

The Farmall (Model B) I had didn't have a solenoid on it. No lights or
starter either, but would start on the first 'push' of the crank almost
every time.

--
Ted

I checked the TSC catalogue and saw all kinds of tractor parts - except no
solenoid. NAPA's site shows a bunch of heavy duty solenoids but 12 or 24
volt (no 6 volt) and they ran $70 to $100. Maybe I better go back to
converting these suckers from 6 to 12 volt like I've threatened to do for a
couple years..

They are still living in the physical not online store world. They do
have 6V solenoids but I agree it would probably be best to go ahead and
convert. We did it back in the 19 and 50s when dropping v8s into early
chevys. The wiring is plenty big enough to handle 12v (half the
current) and we replaced the lights as they blew. The 6v starter will
work for quite a while, too (it'll spin up /really/ fast) if it starts
easily. Just keep cranking time short.

Good luck either way you decide to go.

--
Ted