Old 08-10-2007, 12:32 PM posted to alt.permaculture
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default composting containers and enclosures

In article ,
JakeD wrote:

I've also wondered if there is some kind of small, hygenic compost bin
one can keep inside the kitchen for food scraps.

At the moment, I use a brown paper bag at the back of the kitchen sink
draining board, but it attracts flies into the kitchen even when it's
only half full. Perhaps I should empty it more often, but the compost
heap is located some distance from the kitchen, so I like to keep
trips there to a minimum.

Try a lid on your bucket. Secondly, it's worth a daily trip to the compost
heap to prevent the vinegar flies from hovering in the kitchen. The other
option is of course to move the heap closer, but that seems to be a problem
for you.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/