Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Aren't apple stalks good for you? I thought the tiny about of cyanide (?)
| present was a good thing? Should we all eat our apple stalks or will we die
| a horrible death as a result?
|
| While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
| cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
| cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
| consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to not
| markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
| dangerous.)

Only raw. You need to eat quite a lot more, if they are cooked - I
suspect that eating that much cooked apple in a sitting might have
other effects :-)

I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.